Tomorrow is a New Day

It seems that each time I watch a new instructional video I have to get the latest stamp or die. The hard part is to use them all.  I have been trying to challenge myself to use the stamps that I have purchased. This past week I used some of my background stamps with clear embossing powder and Distress inks to create some simple cards.

The first card I made used Hero Arts Floral Backgound.  I stamped with with VersaMark ink on Strathmore 140# Cold Press Watercolor paper, added Hero Arts Clear Embossing Powder and heat set it with my heat gun.

00154a

Next I took three Distress inks and Ranger Round Blending Tools and blended Pine Needles, Evergreen Bough, and Cracked Pistachio to reveal the beautiful leafy background.  Using a spray bottle of water a fine mist of water was added to the watercolor paper to help the colors blend.

I wanted the background to take the entire card front so once it was dry I cut it with the largest Lawn Fawn Large Stitched Stackable Rectangles and adhered it to a 4 1/4″ x 11″ Gina K. Designs White Cardbase with 3M 1/2″ Foam Tape.

I wanted to let the background take center stage so I cut a label from Spellbinders Fancy Framed Tags Two and stamped the sentiment from Papertrey Ink A Year of Flowers Marigold.  3M 1/2″ Foam Tape was added to the back of the tags to add dimension. To add a little glam I added two Queen & Co. pearls.

For the inside of the card I created a small panel of the same background and adhered it to the bottom of the card.  I also stamped the image to the bottom of an envelope and the card was done.

00154b

Products Used:

  • Gina K. Designs 120# White Cardstock
  • Strathmore 140# Cold Press Watercolor Paper
  • Ranger Distress Inks: Cracked Pistachio, Evergreen Bough, Pine Needles
  • Hero Arts Floral Background
  • VersaMark Ink
  • Stampin Stuff Clear Embossing Powder
  • Queen & Co. Pearls
  • Spellbinders Fancy Framed Tags Two
  • Papertrey Ink A Year of Flowers Margold stamp set

Hang in There

My niece Alannah had some pretty significant surgery yesterday and I wanted to send her a card to make her smile and encourage her to hang in there during her long convalescence. I thought the cute images from Clearly Besotted’s Cheeky Monkey would be perfect.

00138aI stamped the monkey images and 3 branches with Memento Tuxedo Black ink on Gina K. Designs 80# White cardstock. Since I planned to color them with Copic Markers, cut them with their matching dies, and attached them to the card, bleed through wouldn’t be a problem as it would be with a one-layer card. The markers used were:

  • Sky: BG0000, BG10
  • Leaves & Vine: G28, G99, G94, G24
  • Branches: E29, E39, E35
  • Monkey Body: E57, E23, E33
  • Monkey Belly and Face: E55, E43, E42
  • Cheeks and Tongue: R20, R22

I cut a panel of the same white cardstock using the largest Lawn Fawn Small Stitched Stackable Rectangles.  At first I used Lawn Fawn’s Jessie’s ABCs to stamp a “Hang in There” sentiment at the bottom of the page, but I didn’t like how it looked.  The card seems to be top heavy and it got lost amidst the monkeys. So, I cut a strip of leftover brown cardstock, stamped the sentiment “hang in there” from Poppy Stamps Into the Words three times with VersaMark ink and heat embossed it with Recollections Snow Detail Embossing Powder.  I glued the strip over the first attempt and liked that much better.

I have been collecting patterned and colored paper for years, long ago when I was doing scrapbooking.  My husband says that I have my own store, and that is probably true.  I have no idea which company a lot of them came from, and they probably wouldn’t be available today. I selected a pretty lime green cardstock for the card base, cutting it to 4 1/4″ x 11″ and scored it with my Scor-Buddy at 5 1/2″.  I then found a loose leafy patterned paper and cut it using the largest Lawn Fawn Large Stitched Stackable Rectangles and adhered it directly to the card base with Tombow Mono Multi Liquid Glue.  I used 3M 1/2″ Foam Tape on the back of the cute monkey images and the branch two of them were sitting on for dimension and placed them on the white panel.  I used the leaves from the other two branches to balance the images, gluing them directly to the paper.  I mounted the white image panel to the card base using a generous amount of foam tape and thought I was done, but it looked too stark white.  So I added BG0000 and BG10 to the background for a blue sky and was satisfied.

00138b