When I saw this new stamp from Tim Holtz I purchased it for my stash of Christmas images. When I dot it in the mail it was HUGE and I thought, “how in the world am I going to use this?”
I first stamped it on a half sheet of Strathmore Bristol Smooth with Ink-On-3 Fade Out Ink for a no line watercoloring, but I just can’t do no line. I’ve tried several times and I never like the results, it just isn’t defined enough for my style.
As with most Tim Holtz images they are very detailed. I knew that using a gold embossing with just make it so that there wasn’t enough real estate left over to get a good color so I stamped it with Distress Oxide Vintage Photo and at the last minute decided to use clear embossing powder on it. It just makes it easier to watercolor. I used my Arteza watercolor pens because they have more vibrant colors than the ZIGs.
For the most part the watercolor went okay. The large berries however, didn’t have enough open space for any color to show through, so I just pulled out some Purple Stickles. I also used Christmas Red Stickles for the smaller berries.
I cut down the image with the largest Lawn Fawn Stackable Stitched Rectangle, which covers the front of an A2 cardbase. I decided that the feel of the card was more rustic so I ink blended the edges with Antique Linen and Vintage Photo. This did cause the Arteza inks to reactive in a few spots on the green leaves, but I was okay with that since it was in keeping with the rustic feel.
I stamped the sentiment in Vintage Photo and heat embossed it clear using Vintage Photo onto Gina K. Designs Kraft Cardstock. I then cut it down using a Memory Box Matinee Rectangle and popped it up with some foam tape.
It isn’t my favorite Christmas card, but I am happy with the results.
- Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz Collection Glorious Gatherings
- Distress Oxide Vintage Photo and Antique Linen
- Arteza Real Brush Markers: 132 Forest Green, 126 Crocodile Green, 122 Moss Green, 146 Olive Green, 134 Coffee, 102 Chocolate, 182 Wine Red, 183 Blush Red, 101 Red, 1094 Tomato Red, 169 Orange Rust, 118 Autumn Red, 156 Sunset Yellow, 121 Honey, 184 Light Magenta, 148 Grape Purple
- Ranger Stickles Christmas Red, Purple, Cinnamon, Orange Peel
- 3M ½” Foam Tape
- Nuvo Deluxe Adhesive
- Gina K. Designs Base Weight Kraft and Ivory Cardstock
- Lawn Fawn Stitched Stackable Rectangle
- Neenah Classic Crest 80# Solar White Cardstock
- Nuvo Deluxe Adhesive