This card is an example of how you can mess up on a card and still salvage it.
I first hot foiled the Big Birthday Wishes die onto white cardstock with red hot foil. There was too much white space on the card and not enough visual interest and so I began coloring the inside of the foiled words with Copic Markers and hated the color combo I used and threw it in the trash. After creating a card with the waste leftover from the foiling I pulled it out of the trash and decided to cut the die from gold foil and fill in the letters. When you do this you can no longer see the foiled lines of the die, but at least it didn’t go to waste.
Before adding the gold letters I ran the background through the Big Shot with the Memory Box Matinee Rectangle Die. I really like the visual interest with the corners of this die.
I decided to add foam behind the word “big” which makes it pop on the page and enhances the word itself. I liked the way it looked but it needed a pop of color so I die cut a patterned candle from red mirror cardstock and the background with the flame from gold mirror. This way the flame can be yellow in color. I added some Copic Coloring to have some variation in the color of the flame. The candle was then adhered over the “I” in the word Big.
I used a red top folding cardbase to add an additional pop of color to the card.
- My Favorite Things Big Birthday Wishes Die
- Elizabeth Craft Birthday Candles
- Copic Markers: YR27, YR24, YR23
- Paper Accents Red and Gold Mirror Cardstock
- Neenah Classic Crest 80# Solar White Cardstock
- Gina K. Designs Base Weight Red Hot Cardstock
- Spellbinders Glimmer Red Hot Foil
- Darice Sticky Back Foam Red
- Memory Box Matinee Rectangle Die
- Nuvo Deluxe Adhesive