My niece Alannah had some pretty significant surgery yesterday and I wanted to send her a card to make her smile and encourage her to hang in there during her long convalescence. I thought the cute images from Clearly Besotted’s Cheeky Monkey would be perfect.
I stamped the monkey images and 3 branches with Memento Tuxedo Black ink on Gina K. Designs 80# White cardstock. Since I planned to color them with Copic Markers, cut them with their matching dies, and attached them to the card, bleed through wouldn’t be a problem as it would be with a one-layer card. The markers used were:
- Sky: BG0000, BG10
- Leaves & Vine: G28, G99, G94, G24
- Branches: E29, E39, E35
- Monkey Body: E57, E23, E33
- Monkey Belly and Face: E55, E43, E42
- Cheeks and Tongue: R20, R22
I cut a panel of the same white cardstock using the largest Lawn Fawn Small Stitched Stackable Rectangles. At first I used Lawn Fawn’s Jessie’s ABCs to stamp a “Hang in There” sentiment at the bottom of the page, but I didn’t like how it looked. The card seems to be top heavy and it got lost amidst the monkeys. So, I cut a strip of leftover brown cardstock, stamped the sentiment “hang in there” from Poppy Stamps Into the Words three times with VersaMark ink and heat embossed it with Recollections Snow Detail Embossing Powder. I glued the strip over the first attempt and liked that much better.
I have been collecting patterned and colored paper for years, long ago when I was doing scrapbooking. My husband says that I have my own store, and that is probably true. I have no idea which company a lot of them came from, and they probably wouldn’t be available today. I selected a pretty lime green cardstock for the card base, cutting it to 4 1/4″ x 11″ and scored it with my Scor-Buddy at 5 1/2″. I then found a loose leafy patterned paper and cut it using the largest Lawn Fawn Large Stitched Stackable Rectangles and adhered it directly to the card base with Tombow Mono Multi Liquid Glue. I used 3M 1/2″ Foam Tape on the back of the cute monkey images and the branch two of them were sitting on for dimension and placed them on the white panel. I used the leaves from the other two branches to balance the images, gluing them directly to the paper. I mounted the white image panel to the card base using a generous amount of foam tape and thought I was done, but it looked too stark white. So I added BG0000 and BG10 to the background for a blue sky and was satisfied.