For Day 19 of Spring Card Camp 2 Online Card Class Dawn Wolesagle shared monoprint inking and stamping. Dawn used the back of a large fairly solid background acrylic stamp because she did not have a gel plate. She also used Distress Oxide inks rather than acrylic paints, randomly placing the inks on the acrylic stamp back or gel plate and then using a brayer to spread it around evenly. You know have an inky surface that can be used as ink for your stamps. You put your stamp(s) onto an block and press it into the inked plate then stamp it onto your cardstock. You continue to lift the ink from your plate, trying to create a pattern in the ink and stamping a similar pattern on your cardstock. Once you have your background stamped like you want it you take another piece of cardstock and place it over the remaining ink on the plate and have another background. If you want more instructions on how to do this technique search for gel press on YouTube. There is a great video by Shari Carroll of Simon Says Stamp (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SvA_40aFiM).
Dawn used solid images for her cards, I decided to use a lined image instead. For this card I used Distress Oxide Peeled Paint and Broken China. What I found was that the ink would bead up after a while, with other cards I tried to create I first stamped my gel press plate with VersaMark Ink then added the colored inks. This helped to transfer more ink onto the plate.
As you can see, the first card (featured image) is just stamped images with a lot of white space. Because you brayered your colors together on the plate your images have random colors. The second card pulls all the leftover color from the gel press and has white lines where the ink was pulled from the plate for the first card.
Once I had my inked cardstock panels I cut them down with a stitched rectangle. I then matted them with a thin sea glass cardstock. They were then adhered to a side folding cardbase.
I wanted to keep the sentiment simple and stamped it on black cardstock, heat embossed it white, and cut it into a strip and adhered it to the lower right of the card with foam tape. A few moonshine sequins were scattered around the sentiment and the cards were done.
Waffle Flower Blossom
Concord & 9th Hello Lovely
Distress Oxide Inks Peeled Paint and Broken China
Copic Markers: RV66, RV63, G00
Neena Classic Crest 80# Solar White Cardstock
Gina K. Designs Sea Glass and Onyx Black Base Weight Cardstock
For Day 17 of the Online Card Class Spring Card Camp 2 May Park and Lea Lawson were the guest designers and their technique was to highlight background die pieces. May ink blended a background, added foam behind it and then die cut a star background from it. The background was once again cut from white cardstock and adhered to a top folding cardbase. The ink blended shapes were then added to areas of the white background creating a lovely colorful card front. She die cut a large sentiment from glitter cardstock and added a secondary black and white sentiment strip. Lea Lawson took a background die and removed the negative die cut,leaving only the positive pieces on the card.
For this set of cards I ink blended three quarter sheets of white cardstock with yellow inks. The first with lighter yellow Altenew inks and the next two with darker color Gina K. Design inks. I added sticky back foam to the back of the lighter yellow ink blended background and die cut one of the Honey Bee hexagon background dies. Liquid glue was added to the back of each hexagon piece and then it was adhered to one of the darker yellow ink blended background. It was left it place for a few minutes giving the glue time to dry and set and then the positive of the background die was carefully removed.
I looked okay, but it needed a little something to give it some visual interest, so I die cut the background die from gold glitter cardstock and adhered them to some of the hexagon cutouts. I liked this much better.
My crafty friend knew I was working on this card and while she was shopping she saw a stamp with a large bumble bee image and bought it for me. I fussy cut it to use as a focal image for the card. I didn’t have any stamps with sentiments to use for a bee so I went to my Silhouette and created one. I decided on a couple of sentiment strips and a die cut word and outline. All elements were adhered to the lower part of the card with liquid glue and the first card was done.
For the second card I used the negative die cut, adhering it to the second darker yellow ink blended background. I added some glitter hexagons to a few placed in the negative spaces on the die.
I found a digital stamp online that had a cut bee and beehive. I pulled them into my Silhouette software to print and die cut. At the same time I created another couple of sentiment strips and a die cut word. They were all adhered to the card front with liquid glue and the second card was done. Below is the image using the positive die cut panel.
American Crafts Vicki Boutin Wildflower
Silhouette Sentiment Print and Cut
Honey Bee Hexagon Middle Layer
Altenew Inks: Citrus Burst, Fresh Lemon, Maple Yellow, Honey Drizzle