I’ve been experimenting with my Gemini FoilPress Hot Foil Machine using regular dies. I pulled out Elisabeth Craft Birthday Candles and hot foiled them with Spellbinders Red Foil. One thing I have learned as I’ve experimented is that the Spellbinders foil need a higher heat setting. I use the medium setting.
When you use regular dies in the FoilPress you get a thin outline. You could get a wider line by using the back, but it will also leave openings in the foil where the release holes are.
I foiled three of the candles. You cannot use the dies to cut the images foiled because they will cut on the exact lines of the foiling and you will loose the foil, so I fussy cut the images.
I liked the candles, but they were very white. You can easily color the images with Copic Markers. In fact the foil will resist the marker. You just have to color slowing and carefully since the lines are so think.
I also foiled a sentiment with red foil and then die cut it using Pink & Main Sentiment Strip.
I wanted some pop behind the candles and decided to use some red mirror cardstock, which is so complimentary to the foiling. I cut down a smaller panel with a stitched rectangle and adhered the candles and sentiment with Simon Says Stamp Big Mama Foam Tape.
I wanted to use a birthday embossing folder behind the candles, but the embossing folder I had wasn’t large enough to cover the card front, so I decided to cut down a smaller panel of white cardstock and embossed it. I’m actually glad that this was needed, because it was adhered to a red cardbase and I love the look of red/white/red with the white candles.
- Elizabeth Craft Birthday Candles
- Spellbinders Glimmer Everyday Sentiments
- Copic Markers: R39, R37, R35; YR27, YR24, YR23, YR21
- Spellbinders Glimmer Red Hot Foil
- Neenah Classic Crest 80# Solar White Cardstock
- Gina K. Designs Base Weight Cherry Red Cardstock
- Paper Accents Red Mirror Cardstock
- Simon Says Stamp Big Mama Foam Tape
- Pink & Main Sentiment Strip
- My Favorite Things A2 Stitched Rectangle
- Cuttlebug Happy Birthday Embossing Folder
- Nuvo Deluxe Adhesive